Does the thought of rushing through a crowded store to track down all the necessary supplies stop you from making festive holiday treats?
For this Halloween, why not try Caramel Apples? It is a simple and easy way to create Halloween memories with any of your family or friends. Simply take jumbo-sized Granny Smith apples, sturdy sticks, rich caramels to create a delectably sticky caramel coating, and your favorite assortment of festive candy toppings, nuts, and/or sprinkles, to make a truly gourmet holiday treat.
- 6 Apples (any very crisp variety such as Honeycrisp or Granny Smith, etc.)
- Caramel apple sticks or other baking dowel rods
- 1 Package of chewy caramels (14 oz)
- 2 Tbsp. Heavy Cream
- Toppings- (M&M pieces, crushed Oreos, crushed Butterfinger, crushed almonds, crushed peanuts, or your other favorite combos)
- Prepare selection of toppings in separate small bowls and set aside.
- Prepare baking Rinse and thoroughly dry apples with a paper towel. Insert a stick.
- Prepare a baking sheet with a parchment paper liner and nonstick cooking spray over the parchment.
- Stirring frequently, heat unwrapped caramels and heavy cream in a saucepan over medium-low heat until caramels are fully melted and smooth.
- As soon as the caramel is smooth, tip the saucepan slightly and dip apple, rotating until surface completely covered.
- Dip caramel apple in preferred toppings (or just leave it au natural) and place upright on parchment-lined sheet. OPTIONAL: After placing on sheet, drizzle with melted chocolate or add sea salt.
- Let apples stand, at least 10 min. Apples can be refrigerated up to a week. If consuming after refrigeration, let set at room temperature for 15 min. prior to eating to soften. OPTIONAL: Make them into gifts! Let caramel set in refrigerator for 15 minutes then wrap in plastic.