Moist, golden yellow vanilla cake is sweet, crumbly and always a good choice for dessert. When made mini and topped with frosting that is infused with passion fruit extract, it becomes the perfect dessert. Mini cakes for the win!
This passion fruit frosting is thick, creamy and bursting with tropical flavors. The recipe makes 1 dozen cupcakes or 1 mini 3″ 2-layer cake. You can also double the recipe and make one 2-layer 8″ cake.
Scoop out all of the delicious flesh and seeds from the passion fruit, give it a quick spin in your food processor. And strain over a fine mesh sieve.
For a special touch, place a few flowers on top of the cake for a simple yet beautiful decoration
- Passion Fruit Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2-4 tablespoons passion fruit extract (from 3-4 [url href=”http://www.thefruitcompany.com/fruit-encyclopedia/passion-fruit” target=”_blank” title=”Passion Fruit from The Fruit Company”]passion fruits[/url])
- Pinch of Salt
- Mini Vanilla Cake
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large egg
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape down the butter and add 3 cups powdered sugar to the bowl. Turn the mixer to low and combine, increasing the speed to medium. Add the milk and passion fruit extract and beat on high for 1 minute. Stop and scrape down the sides, adding another cup of powdered sugar. Beat on medium until light and fluffy. For a thicker frosting, add 1 more cup of powdered sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place oven rack in the upper third of the oven.
- Using a cake pan, line it with parchment paper and lightly sprinkle flour over top. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar for 4 minutes. You want it to be light and fluffy. Add one egg and beat for 1 minute. Add the next egg and beat for 1 minute. Add the vanilla and blend.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add half of this mixture to the mixing bowl and beat on low until almost incorporated. Add the milk and combine. Add the rest of the flour mixture and beat until almost incorporated. Remove the bowl from the stand and finish mixing with a spatula.
- Fill the cake pan and bake for 25 minutes, until golden and a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes in the pan. Using the parchment paper to help lift, remove the cake and let fully cool on a wire rack.
- Once fully cool, take a 2-4″ cookie cutter or biscuit cutter and cut out 2 circles. Spread 2-3 tablespoons frosting over the first layer. Carefully place second circle over top and spread an additional 2-3 tablespoons frosting over the top.
- Note, if making cupcakes, simply spread each cupcake with 1-2 tablespoons of frosting.
*Passion Fruit is the April HarvestClub Exotica fruit of the month.