Don’t get me wrong: peaches are not meant JUST for pies. I enjoy eating fresh peaches year-round in drinks, ice cream, yogurt, or even grilled. However, there is just something about a warm, flaky peach pie cooling on the counter that is oh so inviting! For me, making peach pie is a labor of love. And when you’re in love with something, it’s easy to get carried away – which is why we’ve developed a delicious yet uncomplicated peach pie recipe that takes just under two hours to complete.
Along with The Fruit Company’s peak season Pacific Northwest Peaches, you’ll need just a few more simple ingredients to make the perfect mouth-watering peach pie. This simple peach pie recipe will be a staple in your household. Nothing says end-of-summer like a steamy homemade Peach Pie in your kitchen!
For the pie crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1 stick of unsalted butter cold and cut into cubes
- 6 tbsp water cold
- 1 large egg beaten (for the egg wash)
For the peach filling:
- 6 cups peeled and sliced peaches (5-6 Just Picked™ Pacific Northwest Peaches)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
Instructions for the pie crust:
- In a food processor, combine the dry ingredients flour, sugar, and salt: place butter cubes and vegetable shortening over the dry ingredients and pulse to form a coarse mixture.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and sprinkle with water.
- Mix to combine. The dough should be crumbly.
- Pour crumbly dough onto parchment paper and create a large ball of dough.
- Form into a round flat disk, cut in half, and place the two half discs of dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and roll out one disk of the dough to fit a 9-to-10-inch pie pan.
For the entire pie:
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Combine the sliced and peeled Just Picked™ Pacific Northwest Peaches granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and vanilla extract into a large bowl. Stir well, so all the ingredients are incorporated together. Next, pour the ingredients into the pie crust that you just made.
Remove the second disk of dough from the refrigerator and roll it out to fit a 9-to-10-inch pie pan. Cut the dough into 1-inch strips and place them on top of the pie in a lattice pattern. Cut off the access of the strips hanging off the pie pan and use a fork to seal the edges. Brush the pie dough with a beaten egg and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and sugar.
Bake pie in the preheated oven for 25 minutes at 425°F. After reducing the heat to 375°F, bake the pie for 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. After you take the pie out of the oven, let it cool for at least 2 hours before serving. Serve pie with a dollop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
Serving: 1 serving | Calories: 550 kcal