The layered use of cherries and blueberries to make these celebratory summer fruit desserts not only add a sweet yet tart flavor but also help us commemorate the joys of summertime!
A delicious sweet treat always makes any gathering better, but in the middle of enjoying a sun-filled summer day of fun, it has to be cold, and it has to be easy. This festive summer fruit dessert is both.
Summer is the time for barbecues, but once you have finished your burgers and ribs, nothing tops off a backyard lunch or picnic in the park better than a cool and sweet popsicle to help beat the heat. The problem is that the ones you buy at the grocery store are filled with too much sugar and artificial flavoring. Even the ones that claim to be “whole fruit” still often have added sweeteners.
Making popsicles at home is easy and a fun activity for kids. And when you make them yourself, you know and can control exactly what goes into them. Knowing your homemade dessert is packed with real, healthy, flavorful fruit instead of artificial flavors makes this treat much more enjoyable!
The Just Picked™ mountain blueberries in this dessert really hit the spot. Their flavors blend well with the added cherries, and when mixed with creamy yogurt, this simple dessert is turned into a decadent delight, and they freeze beautifully, losing any of their distinct freshness.
If you don’t have any popsicle molds, don’t worry! You can make your popsicles in disposable paper cups instead. Then, wrap the tops tightly with plastic wrap and puncture the top of the tightened plastic with your popsicle stick. The plastic wrap will help the sticks to stay upright until your pops freeze. When the popsicles have firmed, simply tear away the paper cup to reveal the sweet cooling treat beneath.
Easy Summer Fruit and Yogurt Popsicles
1. Fill molds with fruit, dividing cherries and Just Picked™ mountain blueberries one-third of the way up each, or mixing as desired.
2. In a medium mixing bowl or large measuring pitcher, blend yogurt, half and half, sugar, and vanilla until smooth, and the sugar has dissolved, increasing volume as follows:
- 1 1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
- 3/4 cup Half & Half
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
3. Cover the fruit completely with yogurt mixture, then insert popsicle sticks.
4. Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours or until completely firm.
5. Removes from molds as previously indicated when you’re ready to enjoy.
Summer Fruit Popsicles with Just Picked™ Mountain Blueberries, Dark Sweet and Rainer Cherries
(Makes approximately 6 popsicles)
1/2 cup Dark Sweet Cherries, pitted and quartered
1/2 cup Rainer Cherries, pitted and quartered
1/2 cup Mountain Blueberries
3/4 cup Cherry Juice
3/cup Blueberry Juice
1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
1/4 cup Half & Half
1/4 cup Sugar
2 teaspoon Vanilla
1. Divide Dark Sweet cherries between popsicle molds, filling 1/3 of the way up. Cover cherries with cherry juice and place in the freezer for at least an hour or until firm.
2. In a small bowl or measuring pitcher, mix yogurt, half and half, vanilla, and sugar. Set aside.
3. After the first cherry and juice layer has firmed, divide Rainer cherries between popsicle molds, filling up another 1/3 of the way. Cover cherries with a sweetened yogurt mixture. Before placing molds back into the freezer, nestle popsicle sticks into the center of the yogurt mixture until it hits the first, already frozen layer. The thicker yogurt mixture should keep the sticks upright. Place molds into the freezer for at least an hour or until firm.
4. After the second layer of cherries and yogurt has firmed, divide Mountain blueberries between popsicle molds filling molds the rest of the way up. Cover blueberries with blueberry juice and place in the freezer until completely firm, at least 2 hours.
5. When you’re ready to enjoy, dip molds for short 5-second intervals into a bowl of warm water to slightly melt the outside of the pops until they just loosen.
This dessert can be made ahead of time to lessen the tasks you have to do on the day of your party, freeing you up to spend more time with your friends and family. And a dessert filled with fresh fruit and 100% juice is something you will be proud to serve to the people you love. The harvest is almost over on our Just Picked™ mountain blueberries! Treat yourself to orchard fresh blueberries before they’re gone!