With Fall approaching, it’s the perfect time to make this sweet brunch recipe for your special someone. These heart shaped pancakes are a perfect centerpiece whether you are setting up an intimate brunch for two or fun breakfast for the kids. The Red D’Anjou Pear is known for being both sweet and juicy, making it the perfect fruit for this recipe. When slow roasted, the pears combine with the sugar, vanilla and orange flavors ,and create a caramelized syrup creating the perfect topper for this sweet dish.
Roasted Red D’Anjou Pear Buttermilk Heart Pancakes
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 20 mins
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Red D’Anjou Pears, peeled, cored and cut in half
- 1 Navel Orange, peeled into strips and juiced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided into 6 small pieces
- Buttermilk Pancakes
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a small bowl combine sugar and orange peels, smashing the orange peel into the sugar with the back of a spoon. Add the vanilla extract and combine.
- In a large baking dish arrange the pears cut-side up. Squeeze half of the orange juice over top of the pears. Sprinkle with the orange sugar. Pour the water into the dish. Add small pieces of butter into each pear half.
- Roast the pears for 30 minutes occasionally brushing them with the pan juices. After 30 minutes turn the pears over and continue to roast for another 30 minutes, continuing to baste with the pan juices. Set aside until ready to use.
- Combine milk with lemon juice in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes without disturbing. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg and melted butter into the milk mixture. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and gently combine.
- Place a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Lightly spray the heart-shaped pancake mold with the cooking spray. As well, spray the nonstick pan. Place the mold onto the nonstick pan, ladle 1/3 cup batter into each mold. Cook until bubbles form on top of the batter, about 3 minutes. Gently remove the mold and flip the pancake to the other side. Cook for another 1-2 minutes until golden brown. You might have to use a knife to help shape some of the pancakes. Keep the pancakes in a 200 degree oven until ready.
- To serve, top buttermilk pancakes with roasted pears and syrup from the pears.
[button color=”orange” text=”white” url=”http://www.thefruitcompany.com/gourmet-gifts/premium-fruit/red-danjou-pears” window=”_blank”]Shop Red d’Anjou Pears[/button]