Adding red bananas into your diet will not only provide a low calorie snack, but add a substantial amount of fiber, potassium, Vitamin-C and Vitamin-B6. Unlike the yellow variety that we all are use to, these red bananas have a deep red exterior with a creamy white often times pink flesh. Combining this flavorful fruit with chopped walnuts and dark chocolate makes a moist and delicious muffin.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 medium red bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place baking rack in the center of the oven. Grease and lightly flour muffin tin, set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy, about 4-6 minutes. Begin adding eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute each. Stopping and scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add the mashed bananas and lemon juice. Mix until combined.
- With the mixer running on low, all at once add the flour mixture. Mix until almost combined. Using a spatula, now incorporate the walnuts and chocolate chunks.
- Fill the muffin tins 2/3 (or 3/4 like mine for a larger muffin top) and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes, then remove the muffins and continue to cool on a wire rack.
Red Bananas are also included in our Harvest Club Exotic, where each month you will receive fresh fruit right to your door!