When cherry season is in full swing here in the Pacific Northwest, we like to incorporate the dark fleshed, sweet and juicy variety into meals whenever possible. This dark cherry arugula salad recipe is so flavorful and simple to make, you’ll wish cherries were available all year-around.
Not only are dark cherries one of our favorite ingredients for desserts, but they make a pretty great addition to your green salad as well. Mixing together spicy arugula, magnesium-rich farro, and dark cherries makes a filling and unique salad that can be served alongside grilled chicken or as a light meal all on its own.
For this salad we added chopped pecans and crumbled feta cheese. Both can be substituted for your favorite cheese or nut. Walnuts and goat cheese for example would work great. If you would prefer this salad to be vegan, omit the feta cheese.
- Balsamic Maple Dressing
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Dark Cherry Arugula Salad
- 1 cup farro
- 2 cups [url href=”http://http://www.thefruitcompany.com/gourmet-gifts/premium-fruit/dark-sweet-cherries” target=”_blank”]dark cherries[/url], pitted and halved
- 3 cups arugula
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Combine the dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Add in the olive oil and continue to whisk. Pour in the maple syrup and a pinch of salt and pepper. Give it a quick stir and set aside.
- Rinse raw farro under cold water and place in medium saucepan. Fill with 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes until the liquid has reduced and the farro is cooked and fluffy. Set aside to cool.
- Place cooled farro in a large bowl. Toss with balsamic maple dressing.
- Add arugula and cherries and mix.
- Toss with chopped pecans and crumbled feta cheese.