With Valentine’s Day around the corner, this is the perfect time to make these healthy, yet extremely moist and fudgy double chocolate beet muffins. Not only will your friends and loved one’s enjoy this homemade treat, they will be impressed by how tasty and flavorful these nutritious muffins are. In case you are skeptical about the pureed beets, they are the ticket to keeping these chocolate muffins so moist.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup beet puree (made from 3 small red beets, roasted, and pureed)
- ¼ cup agave nectar or honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Scrub 3 small red beets, cut off the ends, rub with olive oil and wrap with foil. Roast for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Pinch off the peel and place in food processor or blender. Puree until smooth.
- Lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees and prepare muffin tin by lightly greasing.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add beet puree, oil, agave, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Whisk for 30 seconds until fully combined. Add the almond milk and whisk again. Add cocoa powder and flour and combine using a spatula. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin tins 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let rest in the pan for 2-3 minutes and then finish cooling on a baking rack. Keep in an airtight container for several days.
No time to make these delicious Valentine’s Day treats? Be sure to check out the many Valentine’s Day Gifts that The Fruit Company has to offer.