The key to a good salad is combining few ingredients that are packed full of flavor. Cara Cara Oranges are lower in acid making them extremely sweet and juicy. They have an amazing pink colored flesh and taste almost tropical. In this recipe the oranges are used for the dressing and the salad, combined with kale, avocado and crumbled feta cheese. The beautiful salad is sweet, fruitful and savory, and works as the perfect starter to any lunch or dinner.
- 1 bunch of kale (any variety that you prefer will work)
- 3 Cara Cara Oranges, 2 peeled and sliced, 1 juiced
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- freshly black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- Rinse the kale, remove the leaves from the stems and fully dry. Roughly chop kale leaves and place in a large serving bowl. Thinly slice 2 oranges. Using a sharp knife remove the peel from the sliced oranges, and add to the bowl. Peel and chop avocado and add to the bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the juice from your 3rd orange with 1/3 cup of olive oil. If the orange juices more than a 1/3 of a cup, add more olive oil. The goal is to mix equal amounts of orange juice and oil. Add freshly ground pepper and mix until combined. Pour the dressing over the salad and gently combine. Crumble feta cheese over the salad. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately.
Cara Cara Oranges are available in the HarvestClub™ Exotica Monthly Fruit Club. Where each month you receive exotic fresh fruit delivered right to your door!