Baked doughnuts are a great healthy alternative to the fried variety that we all love. Mixed with shredded apples that add sweetness and keep the dough extra light and moist.
Combined with spices, lemon zest, and coconut oil, a heart healthy food and a great alternative to butter. This recipe is a great staple, and can easily be adjusted with other varieties of fruit. Pears would be another great choice!
Apple Doughnuts with Coconut Oil and Lemon Zest
- 1 cup of flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup peeled and shredded [url href=”http://www.thefruitcompany.com/gourmet-gifts/premium-fruit/granny-smith-apples” target=”_blank” title=”Granny Smith Apples from The Fruit Company”]apple[/url]
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- powdered sugar for topping *optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and move your rack to the upper third of the oven. Lightly grease the doughnut pan and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in the microwave for 45 seconds. Set aside.
- Whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Add the melted coconut oil and combine. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Add the shredded [url href=”http://www.thefruitcompany.com/gourmet-gifts/premium-fruit/pippin-newtown-apples” target=”_blank” title=”Pippin Newton Apples from The Fruit Company”]apple[/url], and fold to combine.
- Fill the doughnut pan ¾ full with batter. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden. Place on a wire rack and let cool.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve