For this fun and easy recipe, we thinly sliced apples, tossed with a little sugar and baked until crisp. These apple chips make the perfect healthy snack, that even your kids will enjoy. And not only are they a delicious afternoon snack, they also spruce up any ordinary salad. Red leaf lettuce, combined with red onions, creamy goat cheese and balsamic vinaigrette.
For this recipe, we used Pink Lady apples, but all varieties will work. As well, the apples can be topped cinnamon, nutmeg, and even a little sea salt.
Apple Chip Salad with Red Onion + Balsamic Dressing
- 2 Apples, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 head Red Leaf Lettuce
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- salt + pepper
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Place thinly sliced apple slices on baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for approximately 1 hour, flipping half way through, until the edges have curled. Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes on wire rack.
Apple Chip Salad with Red Onion + Balsamic
- In a small bowl mix together extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Add thinly sliced red onion and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Chop red leaf lettuce and place in a serving bowl. Add balsamic vinegar and red onions and toss together. Top with crumbled goat cheese and serve with apple chips.