Muffins are a great easy breakfast or snack to grab on the go, but the truth is, they often times are packed with sugar and calories.
This muffin recipe is quite the opposite, it uses very little sugar, letting the natural sweetness of the carrots and Gala Apples be the shining stars. With the combination of whole wheat flour, fruits and vegetables, this healthy muffin is the perfect snack for you and the kids.
- 3 small carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 small [url href=”http://www.thefruitcompany.com/gourmet-gifts/premium-fruit/gala-apples” title=”Gala Apples from The Fruit Company”]Gala Apples[/url], peeled and chopped
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut or canola oil
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a muffin tin.
- Place chopped carrots and chopped apples in food processor and pulse until grated. Add the egg, sugar, vanilla and oil. Blend until combined.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently fold together, being careful to not overmix.
- Fill the muffin tins ⅓ way full (for small muffins, or fill ¾ way full for 6 large muffins). Bake for 16-18 minutes. Cool and enjoy.
- Makes 10 muffins total