With December behind us (how did that happen?), it is a great time to sit down and discuss a few of my favorite tips for healthy living in the new year. They are quick and easy to incorporate into your current lifestyle.
1. Regular practice of yoga can improve your flexibility, strength, and posture, but can also lower your resting heart rate in and after class.
2. Adding some spice to your food – like Turmeric which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory powers – can help protect the digestive tract and enhance liver function.
3. Tired of drinking plain water? Add cucumbers, mint, lemons, limes and oranges to your pitcher.
4. Eat more water based fruits and vegetables. Cucumbers are 96% water, and grapefruit contains 90% water.
5. Need a pre-workout snack? Try figs! They are filled with calcium, magnesium and potassium.
6. Switch your workout routine weekly if not daily to keep your muscles guessing and to keep you from getting bored.
7. Eat more eggs and don’t skimp on the yolks, which is where half of the protein comes from. Diets that are low in protein have a weaker immune system.
8. An apple a day keeps the doctor away! Apples contain pectin which naturally slows digestion and promotes a feeling of fullness.
9. It might be cold out, but bundle up and go for a jog. Running in the cold can increase your calorie burn by 7 percent.
10. And to get you moving, simply 10 minutes of exercise a day might lengthen your life by 2 years!
What are some of your everyday tips in maintaining a strong and healthy lifestyle for you and the family?