Papayas are known for their pleasantly sweet and exotic flavor, which provides an unique twist on the traditional lemon curd.
The combination of the tangy citrus from the lemon and the tropical flavors from the papaya pair beautifully for the smooth richness of this dish.
For this recipe, we combined the papaya with eggs, sugar, and lemon juice. The result was creamy, rich, and slightly tangy curd that makes the perfect after dinner treat.
While this dish is delicious enough to serve all on its own, you can also try serving it over shortbread cookies or use as a tasty filling for pies or cakes. Add it to your morning toast for a delicious breakfast treat. Our personal favorite is swirling the papaya curd into greek yogurt with granola sprinkled over top.
- 3 large eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- ½ cup strained fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup papaya flesh
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Cut 1 small papaya in half, remove the seeds and scoop out the flesh. Set aside ½ cup of papaya flesh.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a glass bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together 3 large eggs.
- Add in the zest, lemon juice, papaya and sugar.
- Add the butter and continue to whisk over medium heat. The butter will begin to melt. Continue to whisk as the mixture thickens and begins to simmer. As the mixture is now thick and is about to boil, whisk for another 15 seconds and promptly remove from the heat.
- Scrape the mixture into the strainer, gently pressing it through. Refrigerate until chilled. The curd will keep in the refrigerator covered for up to 2 weeks.