Freshly squeezed and zested Navel Oranges combined with the fragrant aroma of rosemary is a fun new twist on the classic cornbread recipe. This cornbread is sweet and savory, which makes it great to serve for any meal. In the breakfast with honey and a warm cup of tea. For lunch alongside a bowl of chili. Or for dinner, served with some spicy southern chicken and beans.
Orange Rosemary Cornbread
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 50 mins
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Navel Orange zested and juiced (using 3 tablespoons of juice + all of the zest)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place the rack in the upper third of the oven. Grease a 8×8 inch square baking pan, line with parchment paper, grease again and sprinkle with flour. Set aside.
- Using a small saucepan over medium heat, melt ½ cup butter. Stirring occasionally, while the butter begins to foam, and then slowly brown amber bits form at the bottom. Keep stirring and once the bottom is fairly amber in color remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, orange zest and chopped rosemary with a metal spoon, pressing the zest and rosemary into the sugar. Add flour, cornmeal, salt and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, fresh orange juice, and browned butter. Add this mixture to the large dry ingredients bowl. Stir to combine. Pour batter into the prepared pan and smooth down the mixture with the back of your spoon. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let cool for 8-10 minutes before slicing.
Navel Oranges are included in this month’s Harvestclub Americana & Organic, where each month you will receive fresh delicious fruit arriving at your door.