Deliciously sweet, with a slight tart flavor, blueberries are easily one our favorite fruits.
One of nature’s super-foods, blueberries are excellent made into jam, turned into muffins, or eaten by the handful. Slow roasting them and serving over a sweet and savory, rich olive oil cake is the perfect combination.
When you roast fruit, like blueberries, with olive oil and sea salt and then top with balsamic vinegar, their flavor becomes intensified. Drawing out the rich bold sweet flavors of berries, while creating a lively sauce that is best served over cake, yogurt or even to glaze meat with.
- 1½ cups flour
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup good quality olive oil
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (frozen will work as well)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Oil large bundt pan and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, milk and eggs.
- Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold together. Fill the bundt pan with batter and bake for 30-35 minutes until tester comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for 5-10 minutes on wire rack before inverting onto a plate.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and place washed blueberries onto the pan. In a small bowl whisk together maple syrup, olive oil, and sea salt. Pour over the blueberries and toss together. Arrange the berries in a single layer and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with balsamic vinegar. Toss together and place in a small bowl to cool.
- Serve over olive oil cake.