This grilled pineapple bacon fried rice is savory and sweet, the perfect quick and easy dinner that everyone will enjoy. We all know that pineapple is a sweet-tasting fruit that is packed with tropical flavors. What you may not know is that not only is this juicy fruit loaded with Vitamin-C, but also has a high level of Vitamin B-1 which increases our bodies energy and antioxidant defenses.
Have you ever grilled pineapple? There are a lot of great ways to enjoy pineapple. Sliced and eaten raw. Made into a upside-down cake. Used as toppings for a salad. Or blended into a delicious smoothie. But one of our favorite ways to eat this versatile fruit is to grill it up until golden brown. Make a big batch of fried rice, and top with grilled pineapple.
- 1 small pineapple, cut into wedges
- 2 cups white rice, cooked
- ½ onion, diced
- 5 strips bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame oil (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce (optional)
- 3 cloves minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4-5 scallions, chopped
- Cook white rice according to package, to make 2 cups of cooked rice.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate. Drain the bacon grease and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to pan and return the pan to medium-high heat. Add pineapple wedges to the hot pan and sear on all sides until deeply golden. Remove pineapple from the pan and let rest on a plate.
- Place the skillet (no need to wash out) back on the stove at medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan, and add minced garlic. Give it a quick stir for 30 seconds and then add the chopped onions. Stirring occasionally for 5 minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Push the onions to the edge of the pan and add 2 eggs. Begin stirring the eggs immediately. Once they have scrambled, begin to mix them into the onion garlic mixture.
- Add peas, cooked rice and soy sauce and mix together.
- Add the chopped scallions and bacon.
- Once thoroughly combined, add sesame oil and hot sauce.
- Top with grilled pineapple chunks and serve with additional soy sauce, hot sauce and chopped scallions.
(Pineapple is the May fruit of the month for HarvestClub Americana)