A grilled cheese sandwich is a tried and true a staple in many households. We love the healthy twist this crispy fruit and veggie filled version brings to the table.
While we all love and appreciate the comfort of this childhood favorite, we enjoy adding our favorite Honeycrisp apples, a few stalks of kale and a big handful of Gruyere cheese to the mix. Taking what used to be a simple sandwich and creating a new favorite that everyone will enjoy. Sweet and savory, with a rich smoky cheese and a hint of thyme. This sandwich is perfect for lunch in the fall while apples are at their peak.
- ½ Honeycrisp Apple, cut into ½" cubes
- 2 slices of thick bread (French or Brioche work well)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard (optional)
- 2 kale stalks, leaves removed and sliced into ribbons
- ⅓ cup ground Italian sausage (mild or spicy)
- ½ cup gruyere cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a medium skillet, add ground sausage and thyme leaves. Stir until browned and cooked thoroughly.
- Turn off the heat and add apple cubes, kale leaves, and gruyere cheese. Stir to combine. Place mixture in a medium bowl.
- Wipe out skillet with a paper towel.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard onto the 2 bread slices. Add ½-3/4 cup of apple mixture onto the bread slice. Top with the second bread slice and press firmly down, to hold in the apple mixture.
- Heat the skillet over medium low heat. Add butter. Once melted, place the sandwich in the center of the pan. It helps to put something moderately heavy down on the sandwich. Cook until golden and flip over. Cooking on the second side until golden and melted.
- Slice in half and serve.
- Depending on how much filling you use, this recipe can make enough for a second sandwich.