We are always looking for new and inventive ways to spice up the traditional taco night, and these Fish Tacos with sweet and spicy Kiwi Nectarine Salsa do just that.
Fish tacos are always a crowd pleaser, especially in the summer. For this recipe, we steamed the fish in parchment paper over onions, garlic, and fresh herbs. By steaming the fish in the parchment, we were able to really seal in the moisture and give the fish the flaky texture that is perfect for the tacos. For the kiwi nectarine salsa, we wanted to give the dish a light refreshing summer flavor. The kiwis and nectarines are both sweet and slightly tart and acidic, making them the perfect base. Next, we added jalapeno and cilantro to balance out the sweetness and give the salsa just the right amount of heat.
For this recipe we paired our salsa with fish, but it also pairs well with poultry and is great to serve as an appetizer with chips. It’s the perfect topper for a relaxed summer evening with friends.
- 4 6-ounce white flaky fish fillets (such as Halibut or Cod)
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup herbs of your choice (rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil all work nice)
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cut 4 sheets of parchment paper about 12x12" and place on a flat work surface. Divide sliced onions on each parchment paper. Top with tomatoes and herbs. Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil over top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place each fish fillet over top of the onions and tomatoes. Drizzle another 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the fish and season with more salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Fold the parchment paper and crimp the edges tightly. Place the parchment pouches on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. When the fish is done, make a slit on the top of the packets with a sharp knife. Being careful with the hot steam.
- Set aside and prepare your corn tortillas and toppings. When ready to serve, take a fork and begin to break the fish up, creating large flakes.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine all ingredients and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more garlic, cilantro, jalapeno or salt and pepper.
- To serve fish tacos, grill corn tortillas over medium high heat for 1-2 minutes per side until slightly brown. Top with purple cabbage, fish and kiwi nectarine salsa. Serve with a lime wedge.