Cherry season is a much anticipated time here in the Pacific Northwest. Known for their sweet, rich flavor, cherries are perfect for desserts, jams, sauces and salad toppings. With their slightly tangy flavor, and deep red flesh, this juicy fruit makes the perfect topping for our favorite vanilla pudding cups.
Mixed with chopped pistachios and a drizzle of maple syrup, this sweet and salty cherry combo will be a dessert favorite for all ages.
Cherries are loaded with potassium, beta carotene, and vitamin-C. Load up on this heart-healthy fruit for any meal!
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup dark sweet cherries, pitted and cut in half
- ¼ cup pistachios, chopped
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Fill a small bowl with ¼ cup whole milk and sprinkle gelatin over top. Set aside for 1 minute, until soft.
- Fill a large bowl with ice cubes and set aside for ice bath.
- In a small saucepan, add ¾ cup whole milk, vanilla and sugar and bring to just a boil over medium heat. Stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and add gelatin mixture, stirring until dissolved. Place saucepan in large ice bowl, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add in buttermilk and give it a quick stir. Pour the mixture over a fine-mesh sieve, discarding the solids, into 4 serving dishes. Chill until set, about 6 hours.
- When ready to serve, top each dish with cherries, chopped pistachios and 1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup.