What happens when you replace the chocolate chips in the classic cookie recipe with fresh dark sweet cherries and add a handful of bright green pistachios?
Just possibly, the best cookie combination, ever. Sweet, juicy, slightly tart cherries combined with nutty and salty pistachios create a cookie that is crisp on the edges and rich and fluffy on the inside.
Because these cherry cookies are extra moist from the juicy red fruit, they will last even longer stored than your average cookie. However, we doubt you will have to test that theory, as we are sure everyone will eat these cookies straight from the oven.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (this is important)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup dark sweet cherries, pitted and chopped
- ½ cup pistachios, chopped
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Take ½ of the butter (8 tablespoons) and place in a small saucepan. Melt the butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally. First it will foam, and then it will turn amber and begin to form brown nutty smelling bits. Once this happens, remove the butter from the burner and pour it into a small bowl to cool.
- Using a free standing mixer, beat the remaining ½ cup of butter with the brown sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract and molasses and continue to beat. Pour the cooled brown butter into the bowl, with the granulated sugar. Beat for 2 minutes. Add the egg and egg yolk and beat for another minute. Add the flour, salt and baking soda on low speed until just incorporated. Remove the bowl from the mixer, using a spatula, fold the chopped cherries and pistachios into the dough.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and wrap in parchment paper or plastic wrap. Gently flatten the dough, forming a disk and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, placing the racks in the center and upper third of the oven.
- Scoop the dough using a ice-cream scoop (approximately 2 tablespoons) onto the prepared baking sheets. Leave about 2" between the cookie dough.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes until golden brown. It is alright if they are a little soft in the middle, they will continue to cook while cooling. Remove from the oven and let rest in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.