This easy to make, delicious recipe will be the talk of the town!
We take a fun twist on a Cherry Pie bymaking them into mini star-shaped hand pies.
You can use Dark Sweet Cherries for this recipe.
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cold
- 2 cups dark sweet cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of zest
- 3 tablespoons sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Fill a one cup measuring cup with water and add a few ice cubes, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar and salt, combine.
- Cut 2 sticks of butter into ½” pieces. Add butter to the large bowl, and using your pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture. Continue until you form pea size pieces.
- Add ½ cup ice water to the mixture and combine with a rubber spatula. Continue to add 1 tablespoon as a time until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough in half, wrap with plastic wrap and form into a disk. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Remove pie dough from the refrigerator. Heavily flour your work surface and place pie dough disk in the middle. Begin rolling the disk starting in the middle working your way out. After a few rolls, pick up the dough, add more flour to the surface, and rotate the dough. Continue to roll and rotate until the dough is ⅛" thick.
- Begin cutting out the star shapes using a cookie-cutter or free-hand using a stencil, approximately 3-inches. Place the stars on a plate and place in the refrigerator while you are cutting out the remaining stars, from both pie dough disks.
- After you have cut out all of your stars, you should have about 30 stars. Brush half of the hearts lightly with the beaten egg white. Place 1 large teaspoon of cherry filling in the center of the star. Place 1 cut-out star over top and lightly stretch it out, and begin pressing the ends together with your fingers. It is ok if some of the juice leaks out. Using the ends of a fork, crimp the edges together and make 2 small vent holes on the top of the star.
- Lightly brush the tops with beaten egg white. Sprinkle with sugar and place on a plate, keeping this plate in the refrigerator while you continue making the remaining star pies.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and place the star hand pies onto the sheet 1-inch apart from each other.
- Bake for 12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 8-10 minutes on the baking sheet before you move them to a wire rack to cool.
Snack on these sweet little cherry treats at your family picnic or barbecue, topped with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.