Archive for October, 2013
1. The Fruit Company Costco Organic Pink Basket Celebrate the cancer-free anniversary of a friend or family member with this handcrafted wood slat fruit basket, brimming over with a bountiful selection of nature’s finest organic fruits. Organic apples and pears, organic Dagoba Roseberry dark chocolate bar, a mouth-watering selection of organic dried fruit medley, and organic yogurt-covered pretzels, beautifully wrapped with a pink ribbon. The Fruit Company will donate a portion of the proceeds from each Organic Pink Basket purchased to Breastcancer.org.
2. New Balance: Lace Up For The Cure New Balance has partnered up with the Susan G. Komen Foundation for its 25th year to help support the fight against breast cancer. Maybe you’re training for your first 5k, or your fifth marathon, either way, New Balance has an assortment of products, including running shoes, shorts, tops and socks that when purchased, a portion will be donated to the Susan G. Komen Foundation. As well, you can continue to support this foundation by participating in their nationwide Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure.
3. Dakine: KAB Collaboration A cute collection of bags and accessories from our Hood River neighbor, Dakine, supports Keep-A-Breast Foundation™, a youth-focused non-profit with a mission to eradicate breast cancer for future generations through prevention, early detection and education.
4. North Face: Support The Cause North Face has teamed up with Boarding For Breast Cancer to help raise awareness of early detection. Layer up for the weekend with The North Face’s cozy line of signature jackets and hoodies that cut the chill of an early morning workout.
5. NEST Fragrances: Passion for The Breast Cancer Research Foundation Candle De-stress with NEST Fragrances Passion candle, created to honor the memory of the Founder of The Breast Cancer Research Foundation, Evelyn H. Lauder. NEST is donating 10% of the proceeds to help find a cure and prevent breast cancer.
6. Tory Burch: Shop For A Cause Fashion Designer, Tory Burch, has partnered with The Breast Cancer Research Foundation to create exclusive pieces that will help support the cause. When you purchase one of the stylish scarf, umbrella or bracelets, 20% of all proceeds will be donated. Because, we believe that looking good…feels good!No comments
Does the thought of rushing through a crowded store to track down all the necessary supplies stop you from making festive holiday treats?
For this Halloween, why not try our Caramel Apple Kit? It is a simple and easy way to create Halloween memories with your kids and it’s delivered right to your home. Complete with six jumbo-sized Granny Smith apples, sturdy sticks, rich caramels to create a delectably sticky caramel coating plus an assortment of festive candy toppings, including M&M’s Minis, almonds, and sprinkles, to make a truly gourmet holiday treat. Our foolproof kit even includes step-by-step instructions.
One of our favorite parts of this project is that there are lots of opportunities to get the entire family involved. While mom and dad heat the caramel sauce (on the stove or even in the microwave!), the kids can skewer the apples and sort through the candy and nut toppings. Or set up a party table with the kit’s ingredients and let your family and guests create their own individualized creations! Sweet and salty or rich and tart, The Fruit Company’s Caramel Apple Kit has something to satisfy every taste.
And since all the essential ingredients are right at your fingertips, feel free to explore your creative side – dive into the pantry and personalize the kit’s confections to your tastes. Mix in a handful of chocolate chips to the chopped almonds for an extra special treat. Now if only making your Halloween costume was this easy!No comments
With summer over and fall upon us, it is easy to switch our eating habits from summer salads to cooler weather comfort foods. And, although I will never turn away a warm bowl of soup, my body is still craving a fresh green salad.
This salad is easy to adapt per seasons, incorporating whichever fresh produce is available in your area. I personally love this combination, combining fresh apples with toasted almonds, crunchy quinoa, micro greens and creamy goat cheese. It is citrusy, fresh and healthy.
Serve this salad as your first course at dinner alongside halibut and green beans. Because of the volume of this salad, it works perfectly for lunch as well.
Apple, Almond + Mint Quinoa Salad
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup mixed variety quinoa (or ½ cup white quinoa + ½ cup black quinoa)
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 cups water
4 tablespoons olive oil
pinch of sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 lemon, juiced
2 apples, cored and diced (gala, fuji, pink lady or mountain rose)
4 tablespoons finely chopped mint (or parsley)
½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
4 ounces micro greens
2 ounces creamy goat cheese
Rinse quinoa using a fine mesh strainer. In a medium sauce pan, warm up the olive oil over medium heat. Add 1 cup of quinoa and toast for 1 minute. Slowly stir in the water and sea salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Continue to simmer for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, turn off the heat and let the quinoa rest with the lid on for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, add quinoa, apple, mint, almonds, lemon juice, olive oil, freshly ground pepper and sea salt. Toss to combine.
To serve, divide micro greens per plate. Place apple, almond and quinoa mixture over the micro greens and top with creamy goat cheese.
It’s Wallpaper Wednesday! A nostalgic look at a vintage packing box from our family orchard! These wonderful wood boxes that were used for so many years, are now a fun rare piece that helps us remember our roots and family memories. Enjoy!
*Right click image to save or make your desktop background!No comments